If you are the arts entrepreneur, you are likely the person who is legally responsible for your business and, as a result, there is always something you could or should be doing.
It is easy to feel as though you are just treading water and not moving forward, not completing significant milestones, as there is so much that must be accomplished in the process of building a sustainable and profitable business. In order to keep our spirits up, maintain a healthy perspective and persevere, it is important to occasionally take stock of what we have done and are accomplishing. Such knowledge can motivate and keep us putting one foot in front of the other. Recognition of momentum, of traction, is important when the entrepreneur needs to inspire and motivate co-workers or demonstrate success to potential donors, supporters, fans or investors.
In this exercise, students take stock.
This exercise helps students:
- Take stock of what they have accomplished.
- Maintain a healthy perspective
- Learn to self-evaluate progress
- Make goals that further move them and their team forward
How to Play:
1. Make a list of everything you have done or accomplished in the service of your business. Do so when considering this last week. Include anything and everything you can think of.
2. Look at the list.
3. Now make a list of everything you have done or accomplished in the service of your business during the past month.
4. Look at the list.
5. Now make a list of all that you have done or accomplished in the service of your business in the last calendar year.
6. Look at the list.
7. With all of this information in mind, take a moment to recognize milestones and the volume of what you have achieved.
8. Circle those milestones you have written down.
9. Make a list of goals and milestones you wish to accomplish in the next week, month and year.
10. Start performing those tasks.
If you would like to use this exercise/game in your own classroom, please do! If you do, let me know how how it goes and if you have suggestions for modifying a game.
I can be reached at email@example.com.
Taking Stock by James David Hart is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.